Tuesday 27 January 2015

DIY Guitar Pt. III

So I've been busy with the finish for the guitar today. The pieces were delivered and I started work immediately.


A pretty standard strat model. It came with the stock hardware but with exception to the wiring connections and the volume and tone pots, the rest is all surplus.



The finish is amateur but it's what I like. The human factor, it looks more organic. I bought some bright red acrylic spraypaint and gave her several coats. This is her right now after a first coat of clear gloss varnish.


I was going to shape the headstock, but there is something that appeals to me, with the hard edges. And I also have more surface area to work with. I masking taped her edges, sprayed a couple of coats of red, ruled a black marker through the rough edges and hand painted several coats of a silver acrylic base on the rest.


Again it's a little rough around the edges but I bought some more acrylic paint, a tasty selection of greens.

 
I will (with the help of my better half) be adding these, in a feathered fashion, to the silver headstock in an effort to replicate the green pearl effect of the pickguard. Still waiting on the delivery of my Brian May signature tri-sonics, the excitement  builds.

No comments:

Post a Comment